Within 8 working days of their arrival, all non-EU citizens who hold a valid student visa for Italy must apply for a permit of stay for study purposes (Permesso di soggiorno per motivi di studio). The permit of stay is issued by the local Police Station (Questura-Ufficio Stranieri) of the applicant’s place of residence in Italy, however the applicant must submit an application at a qualifying post office.
The nearest qualifying post offices (walking distance) to Bocconi are:
- Via Cordusio, 4 (Central Post Office of Milan)
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:20am-7:05pm
Tel. +39 0272482126
- Viale Sabotino, 21/a
Hours: Monday-Friday 7:30am-8:00pm
Tel. +39 0258457911
- Corso Italia, 16
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30am-1:30pm
Tel. +39 02804336
- Via Ripamonti, 167
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30am-7:00pm
Tel. +39 0253580011
Step 1: Required documents for post office application
(Do NOT submit original documents in the post office application/kit)
- Completed post office application/kit – make sure to complete “Modulo 1”(Form 1) of the yellow striped envelope application/kit for non-EU citizens (available at the post office free of charge).
- Photocopy of Bocconi acceptance letter/declaration of enrollment (sealed/stamped by the Italian Embassy/Consulate when entry visa was issued).
- Photocopy of the pages containing the personal data and student visa page of the passport or other equivalent document.
You must present the original document when submitting the application at the post office.
- Photocopy of insurance policy or receipt of payment for Italian insurance policy, valid throughout the country and for the entire period of validity of the residence permit, for the risk of illness and injury.
- Photocopy of financial statement: document certifying adequate financial resources (€5,825) for the validity period of the residence permit (e.g. provide the most recent bank statement or a bank letter of financial good standing).
- Marca da bollo (Italian tax stamp: can be purchased at any tabacchi shop) of €16.00.
The marca da bollo will need to be placed on the completed permit of stay application.
- Receipt of payment of €110.46 paid at the post office for the electronic permit of stay (the payment form is included in the post office kit).
- Application fee: €30.00 paid in cash at the post office when submitting application.
After submitting the documents to the Post Office, the applicant should receive 2 documents:
- A ricevuta (mod.22A, certified letter receipt) with the user ID and password needed to check the status of progress of the application online on the Immigration Portal webiste (click on “Area Riservata Stranieri”). Make an extra copy of your ricevuta and keep it in a safe place.
- A letter with the appointment date and time at the Police Station (Questura) for the final step in the procedure (if this letter is not given to the applicant at the post office it will be sent later on as certified mail (raccomandata) to the applicant’s address in Italy).
Step 2: Documents required at the Questura-Ufficio Stranieri (Local Police Station – Immigration Office)
Bring originals and photocopies of ALL your documents:
- Passport or other equivalent document
- Original Bocconi acceptance letter/declaration of enrollment sealed by the Italian Embassy/Consulate when the entry visa was issued
- 2 identical passport-size photographs
- Original insurance policy or receipt of payment for Italian insurance policy, valid throughout the country and for the entire validity period of the permit of stay, for the risk of illness and injury
- An ad hoc certificate of enrollment in a Bocconi academic program (in Italian, for “Immigration Issues”). This certificate is mandatory ONLY for students who (while in Italy) do not live in the city of Milan (and therefore have to apply in the city where they live). Students who declared they live in the city of Milan when filling out the permit of stay application DO NOT NEED to bring this ad hoc certificate, according to a specific agreement between Bocconi and the Milan Police.
- Original financial statement: document certifying adequate financial resources for the validity period of the residence permit (€5,825)
For more information, please visit:
Call toll free: 800309309 (English available)
Contact Center: 848855888 (to verify your application status)