In Italy, national healthcare is provided by a public healthcare service (SSN National Healthcare Service). Only foreign nationals with a valid permit of stay may apply for the service. Registration to the SSN is optional and entitles you to choose a general practitioner (also called a family doctor) who will help you obtain prescriptions for medications and specialist services.
To register for the ASL (local branch of National Healthcare Service), you must apply at the ASL district registry office allocated to your area of residence in Italy.

ASL offices located near Bocconi are:

  • Via Ripamonti, 20 – Tel. : +39 0285788410
  • Corso Italia, 19 – Tel. : +39 0285788113
    Hours: Monday-Friday: 8:30am-12:00pm and 1:30-3:00pm

The healthcare card, a tessera sanitaria, issued upon registration gives the following rights to the carrier:

  • to have a general practitioner or a pediatrician for children
  • to be hospitalized free of charge
  • to use the hospital’s outpatient clinic, ambulatorio and pharmaceutical services by payment of the “ticket” fees (for medicine covered by the SSN National Healthcare Service)

If you are a non-EU citizen the following documents are required when registering:

  • Permit of stay (permesso di soggiorno) OR receipt from post office
  • Italian Tax Code (Codice Fiscale)
  • Self-certification of university enrollment in Italian (printable from a Punto Blu on Bocconi campus)
  • Receipt of payment of €149.77 for SSN card (valid for one calendar year, i.e. 1 January to 31 December) to be completed at the post office

If you are an EU citizen, in order to receive medical assistance at the SSN (National Healthcare Service), you are required to have one of the following:

  • the European Health Insurance Card/TEAM Card (Tessera Sanitaria Europea) which allows EU citizens to receive necessary medical assistance and to be refunded once they come back home
  • in order to receive complete medical assistance (and benefit from the same services as Italian citizens), you can register at the ASL office with the European S1 Form that you should obtain from the healthcare institution you are insured with in your home country PRIOR to your arrival in Italy. The S1 Form replaces former E109 and E106 forms. For detailed info about the S1 Form and its use see the EU website
  • adequate and appropriate private insurance
  • INA Assitalia health insurance purchased in Italy at any post office

Verify if the above mentioned rules are effective in your home country.
Please note that according to the European Union regulations, the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC, referred to as TEAM – Tessera europea di assicurazione malattia in Italy) is not considered a valid means of proof of health coverage for stays of more than 90 days.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s