We’ve put together the basics regarding healthcare emergencies in Milano: who to call, where to go and where to pick up your prescriptions! We really hope you never need to use any of these services, but keep this info handy… just in case!
If you would like more information about Italian National Healthcare while you’re in Milano, check out our dedicated section.
The Region of Lombardy has adopted the European emergency number 112 for all emergencies. It is a toll free number that can be reached from pay phones, without the use of a phone card or money.
Otherwise, specific emergency numbers are:
- 112 – Police (Carabineri)
- 113 – General Emergency (Soccorso pubblico di emergenza)
- 115 – Fire Department (Vigili del fuoco)
- 116 – Road Assistance (Socorso Stradale)
- 118 – Ambulance/Medical Emergencies (Emergenza sanitaria)
Emergency medical service
If you need a physician at night or during public holidays, you can call the Emergency Medical Service at the number +39 0234567. This service, called Guardia Medica, is available:
- every day overnight from 8pm to 8am
- 24/7 on Saturday, Sunday and national holidays
Emergency rooms (pronto soccorso)
For medical emergencies, call the European emergency number 112.
You can also go to an emergency room at the local hospitals, where primary assistance is provided in urgent and emergency cases. Priority is given according to the seriousness of the emergencies.
The main ERs are:
- Fatebenefratelli – Via Castelfidardo 14, Tel. +39 0263632442
- Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico – Via F.Sforza 28/35, Tel. +39 0255031
- Niguarda Cà Granda – Piazza Ospedale Maggiore 3, Tel. +39 0264442496
- San Carlo – Via Pio II 3, Tel. +39 0240222900
• San Giuseppe – Via San Vittore 12, Tel. +39 0285994532 / 4533 / 4534
- S. Paolo – Via Di Rudinì 8, Tel. +39 028184250 / 318
- San Raffaele – Via Olgettina 60, Tel. +39 0226432766
- Sacco – Via Grassi G.B. 74, Tel. +39 0239043015
For orthopedic and trauma ER care, the following hospitals are available:
- Centro Traumatologico Ortopedico – Via Bignami 1, Tel. +39 0257993228 / 3255
- Istituto Ortopedico Galeazzi – Via Galeazzi 4, Tel. +39 0266214725
- Ospedale Gaetano Pini – Piazza Cardinal Ferrari 2, Tel. +39 0258296286
For obstetrics and gynecology ER and sexual violence first aid go to:
Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico IRCCS, Clinica Mangiagalli – Via della Commenda 12, Tel. +39 0255031
Cardiology ER care is provided by:
Centro Cardiologico Monzino – Via Parea 4, Tel. +39 0258002399
The Poison Control Center and the Burn Center are both at:
Ospedale Niguarda Cà Granda – Piazza Ospedale Maggiore 3, (respectively Tel. +39 0266101029 and Tel. +39 0264442625 / 2443)
For dermatological ER care, Ospedale Maggiore offers a specialized service:
Ospedale MaggiorePoliclinico IRCCS, Clinica Dermatologica 1 – Via Pace 9, Tel. +39 02 55035112/13
If you are looking for a pharmacy after the regular opening hours, you can:
- call the toll free number 800801185, to get 24/7 info on pharmacies in Milan and its Province
- look at the bulletin board posted outside pharmacies to find out where night pharmacies are located
- go to one of the two pharmacies always open in Milan: at the Central Station or at Porta Garibaldi Station