There are weeks when Milan is dull and grey, and it always feels as if the rain starts to fall on Saturday morning and the sun shines brightly every Monday afternoon. However, although we love to complain about Milan, the truth is that we actually do love it very much. Here is a list of reasons to remind you why you love living in Milano:
25) In restaurants, a salad costs more than a plate of pasta or a meat dish, and yet you choose to order the salad every time.
24) There is a gelateria around every street corner, but you still walk for miles just to go to your favorite one.
23) You also do the same thing with your favourite pizzeria, and you can argue about this for hours with your friends.
22) It’s worth living here for the rest of the year just to experience the two weeks of Fashion Week.
21) Lounging in Parco Sempione on summer afternoons, after trying (and failing) to study for your upcoming exam in the park.
20) You need four cups of coffee to sustain yourself through an average day.
19) There is no dearth of places where you can get good coffee.
18) You know the exact difference between a caffè, caffè lungo, caffè macchiato, caffè corretto, latte macchiato, cappuccino, marocchino and at what time of the day each drink is appropriate. You also look down on people who drink a cappuccino after 11.00am in the morning.
17) You use BikeMi to go everywhere even though you own a bicycle that you haven’t used in years.
16) Bumping into someone you know when you are out in the evening because there are just three main areas in the city where most people hang out.
15) Standing in the middle of the night with at least 15-20 other people waiting for the last tram to pass by.
14) You can’t help but support either Inter or Milan once you start living here even if you don’t actually follow football!
13) You start following football regardless of whether you like it or not, and you know better than to go out on the eve of a match.
12) You also know better than to leave your supermarket shopping for a Sunday evening.
11) You can take the metro, change lines twice and still manage to reach your destination well before a direct bus journey.
10) You have a complicated relationship with the public transportation system of the city. You love to complain about it all the time, but get very defensive when you hear other people trashing it.
9) Darsena on a Saturday night.
8 ) You proudly boast about La Scala to tourists and people you meet abroad, while never actually having been to a performance yourself.
7) Hearing the phrase ‘Panzerotto da Luini’ automatically makes you nod in agreement.
6) The quality of your day is directly related to whether it’s raining or not.
5) Crepes and cocktails in Porta Ticinese right in front of the Colonne di San Lorenzo.
4) The Duomo takes your breath away every time you catch a first glimpse of it, even though you pass it almost every day.
3) Your love for the city can be expressed in just one word: APERITIVO.
2) It’s the only place in the world where everyone is on holiday for the entire month of August.
1) You can’t wait to leave when you live there, but when you are away you miss it and want to come back!