Venice is one the most beautiful cities in the world and I recommend all Bocconians to visit it! However, we do not have much time to allocate, so we must be very efficient in our Venice tour. I will therefore give you the best schedule to enjoy the city in exactly 8 hours!
1) 7:05am Pick a day and buy you train tickets! I would recommend you take the Milano Centrale – Venezia Santa Lucia 7:05am train for the outward journey. You will be in Venice at 9:40am. Check the Trenitalia website for info on specials and student discounts. Price: €18-€30.00. Time: 2h35min.
2) 9:40am Visit the Basilica Santa Maria della Salute and the Peggy Guggenheim museum. Buy a 1-day vaporetto ticket from ticket machine for €20 (more info on the Venice transport website). Get on the shuttle line 1 at pier “Ferrovia” and get off at pier “Salute” (shuttle time: 35min). Price for basilica: free. Price for Guggenheim museum: €9 for students.
3) 11:30am Stroll around Piazza San Marco, visit the Basilica San Marco and climb up the Campanile. Take vaporetto line 1 from “Salute” to “San Marco Giardinetti” and you are now in Piazza San Marco! Time at Basilica: 20min. Price of Campanile entrance: €8. Time at Campanile: 20min.
4) 12:45pm Have lunch! Wander around the streets a little bit and avoid the tourist traps in Piazza San Marco, they can be super-pricey!
5) 1:45pm Visit the Palazzo Ducale! Price: €11 for students. Time: 1h.
6) 3:15pm Browse one of the exhibits showcased at the Palazzo Grassi Museum and have a cup of coffee at the museum bar. Take line 3 at “San Marco Giardinetti” and get off at “San Samuele”. You are facing the Palazzo, enjoy! Museum price: €10. Time: 1h.
7) 5:00pm Discover the furnaces of the legendary island of Murano! Take the shuttle back to “Ferrovia” from “San Samuele” using line 2. Then the orange line called “DM” at “Ferrovia” and get off the shuttle at “Murano Colonna.”
8 ) 6:15pm Have an early dinner one of the many typical trattorias or restaurants on Strada Nova. To get back to Venice from Murano take the DM shuttle the other way around and get off at pier “Ferrovia.” Then walk 15 minutes to get from the pier to Strada Nova.
9) 7:30pm You are back at the station Venezia San Lucia and you should be on train back to Milano leaving at 7:50pm, the last train of the day!
I hope you all enjoy you tour of Venice as much as I did with my friends. I know it’s a tight schedule but this is the most efficient way to have a great trip and and visit the best places of the city!
Protip: Prices, opening hours for museums/monuments and shuttle schedules may be subjected to changes so I advise you make sure the above-mentioned places are open.